Native to Europe’s high meadows and mountain slopes of the Alps, Aquilegia Alpina, commonly known as Alpine Columbine, is a compact species with charming, bright violet-blue, bonnet-shaped, nodding flowers (2-3 in. wide; 5-7 cm), which rise elegantly on slender stems above a lovely fern-like, blue-green foliage.
How to grow aquilegias
- Thrives in rich, moist but free draining soil (not too wet or too dry)
- Flowers late spring to early summer (May/June)
- Buy plants in spring.
- Raise plants from seed yourself in summer.
- Plant in a sunny or semi-shaded spot.
- Cut back plants after flowering to stop self-seeding and freshen up foliage.
There are no reviews yet.